Thursday, February 23, 2023

snow day

Portland got a record-breaking amount of snow on Wednesday -- 6-10 inches across the city. We had great drifts of it up here, closing the roads and creating a winter wonderland. Jasper and I snowshoed up to the cemetery on Skyline Blvd at dusk -- Liesl went out with friends after school and didn't come home until 8:30 - they sledded, they explored, they made snow angels. Seb stayed cozy for hours but then went outside with Jasper at 11 pm -- the two of them running up and down our street, laughing and enjoying the snow together. I only have my own photos, and none of the children, because they were entirely with their own friends and I didn't want to interfere.

And then Thursday was a snow day off from school for both kids. After working a few hours (meeting students over Zoom), Jasper and I had another snowshoe adventure into Forest Park - up the hill to Skyline, down Firelane 3 to the Wildwood trail - 6 beautiful and exhausting miles. Liesl went out at 9 am  and only returned at 5:30 pm, and then went for a second round of sledding in the dark; Seb went out with friends in the afternoon to sled and play tackle football in the snow.

Entering into Forest Park - we had to almost tunnel under these bowed branches.

No comments: