Thursday, November 6, 2014

the 1950s redux

Liesl and I were driving to work and preschool this morning, and we got to teasing and joking about how old she is - 2? No. 3? No, 4!  Super old! So old!

I then started fake crying about how she's going to grow up and get big and leave us forever. Probably go off to college. Boo hoo hoo!

Liesl: "How old will I be when I go to college? "
me: "About 18."
Liesl: "That's so far away! That's like forever until I turn 18."

me, thinking, it's going to fly by, baby, just fly by, and I can't get too verklempt thinking about my sweet children getting older while driving this car in the rain in rush hour traffic and it's especially ridiculous when we're talking about events 14 years in the future...

Liesl: "Or maybe I won't go to college at all!"
me: "Oh, you'll probably want to go, sweetheart. College is fun and interesting and you learn so much."
Liesl: "And I'll want to go to make friends, right? And get married."

Cue helpless laughter. Apparently in my daughter's brain, it's the 1950s.

No comments: