So the next order of business, on strict orders from both my mom and Steve's mom, is to make a baby registry. I'm embarrassed to admit that we have made only one visit to a baby store so far (lasting an hour, at most). We have, however, started building baby's book collection, to which we would welcome contributions and suggestions. (I listed the books we've already bought on the right-hand side of the page.)
I've started registries at buybuybaby , babiesrus , and babystyle, with both the basics and some fun stuff.
I registered for a bare minimum of clothes - I'm sure everyone can figure out what a baby needs, and it's more fun if we're surprised by your cute picks. In general, onesies, hats, long-sleeved bodysuits with and without feet, nightgowns and sleepsacks, sweaters. You won't know the sex of the baby until s/he appears, but we prefer a variety of colors anyway.
As for toys, dolls, books, etc., think 19th century. We like wood and cloth instead of plastic and vinyl. We'd rather get one nice toy than five cheaper ones. Books are always welcome. Please, a minimum of things that are based on a television, movie, or Disney character, as we prefer to leave some room for the imagination. And for our sanity and happiness, nothing that requires batteries, makes noise, or blinks lights.
1 comment:
When, in her suggestions for toys, Brianna says "think 19th century", I assume she must be referring to my childhood....
For all the baby producers out there who don't know the background to this bias towards simple toys, I recall with wonder how a roomful of store-bought toys was never as attractive to Carl and Brianna as a simple cardboard box with windows, or a wooden spoon and old metal pan to bang on. And lo and behold, Danica's favorite thing of late (that's Carl and Kimberly's seven-month old, for those who don't know) is a package of Ruffles potato chips. It rattles, crunches and feels good on the gums. I don't know: did they have potato chip bags in the 19th century?
Bryant
Post a Comment