Wednesday, March 25, 2020

my birthday

We celebrated my birthday today, and despite the coronavirus and Oregon's new stay-at-home order, I had a wonderful day. I thought it might feel odd or lacking, but it turns out that most of my favorite things are still here and available to me: my family, good food, being outside in the forest. I feel so grateful to have both our jobs and incomes still secure, a comfortable home with books and toys, a well-stocked pantry and freezer, and the continued good health of our families and friends.

The kids got dressed up in fancy clothes to greet me in the morning - there were also colorful banners (Yay 44!), cards and presents, and a pretty table, soon to hold challah french toast, bacon, and a berry salad.

My cards and presents were awesome, despite our inability to go shopping. Liesl painted a Canadian flag on canvas and a rainbow-tree scene on a big rock, and also gave me some other treasures from her room, along with a sweet note written on one of Grammy's notecards.
Sebastian also put together a box of treasures - shells, a stuffie, some rocks - the socks were to cushion everything (he said), but I had to photograph them - as well as a very funny card. There was a lot of laughter.
And then there was Steve's card, only half of which is available for public consumption, but which was also very funny.
I took Jasper for a little stroll in the neighborhood, and then Sebastian and I played baseball at the school field for awhile. We played catch, we took turns pitching and hitting (I had a sweet line drive that solidly cracked off the bat... and he caught it in midair), and I hit some grounders for him and Jasper to field. Steve and Liesl kept working on the puzzle they started a few days ago and eventually finished it. And then we went for a family run/bike ride on the Saltzman and Leif Erikson roads in Forest Park. Liesl rode her bike and the rest of us ran, including an overjoyed Jasper. We got muddy and dirty and everyone did great.
We had in effect two birthday dinners - amazingly buttery wild salmon on Tuesday night, and flank steak tonight. And then of course there was cake! Chocolate stout cake, with whipped cream, and 44 candles. :)


My belly is full, my heart is full, and even my feet are being kept warm by my sweet snoring pup.

No comments: