In response to the novel coronavirus Covid-19, everything has been cancelled. Public schools are on break until April 1st at the earliest; PSU has moved to remote/online only so I'm working from home. All sports and activities have been cancelled: baseball, basketball, soccer, track, dance, guitar. It is exceedingly strange to look at our family calendar and see so little scheduled for the next few weeks, and to know that we should be staying close to home if possible. I'm not sure how things will go during the week, when I have phone appointments with students and work to do, and the kids need attention and supervision (or they will spend all day on the iPad). But I went grocery shopping today and bought two large carts full of food and other supplies -- I've never spent quite so much in a single shopping trip -- and our freezer and pantry and cupboards feel well stocked. We are fortunate to have each other, to be able to work from home, to still have books and games and the gorgeous Portland nature-scape to entertain us, but I feel a sense of disbelief/anxiety about the prospect of 3 weeks in semi-isolation. Today ended well, however: we ate a baked pasta dish for dinner, played downball on our street, and then introduced the kids to poker.


No comments:
Post a Comment