Tuesday, March 19, 2013

math games

There's a lot of multiplication going on in the kitchen right now: Steve is quizzing Seb on 2x3, and 3x2, and 5x3, and 3x5, etc etc.  He's doing pretty well. :)

We've noticed that he's started forgetting some of the things that he previously learned in pre-k and kindergarten. I asked him the days of the week, and he couldn't remember all of them. The last time he wrote his numbers he got the four and seven backwards. So we are making a mental note to spend some more time on school readiness activities.

We visited a number of pre-school programs in January, all of which had different pros and cons but seemed perfectly fine. I thought hard about enrolling him in at least a three-morning-a-week program. I thought it would be good for him to meet children his own age and to continue working on school-related activities. But he is not enthusiastic about going and doesn't seem to care all that much about making friends. And I worried about transitioning him to a preschool that would only run through May, and then worrying about summer programs, and then starting fresh in September's kindergarten classroom. And besides, he's been in daycare his whole life - including kindergarten for three months - and so we decided that he was ready enough, in the social and behavioral ways that schoolteachers emphasize, without further schooling.  But I think I do need to be slightly more cognizant of keeping up his skills in writing and reading and math.

No comments: