Tuesday, January 10, 2017

The Missing Othbrer

Liesl shuffled down the stairs and into the living room this morning, with the remains of sleep still lifting from her.  The quizzical look on her face and the movement of her mouth made me take off my headphones. 

"Where's Sebastian?"

Sebastian and I had been playing games on the sofa between 5 and 6, but he had temporarily returned to his downstairs apartment to dispense with some extra water.

I told Liesl I had folded him up and put him in my pocket because he was being too loud.

"Dad-DY!!" she admonished me, with her nose wrinkled and teeth clenched (but eyes smiling).

"Where do you think he is?"

She scanned the room.
"I know he was here playing Duck Duck Bruce with you."
"And he had this blanket."

"That's very good, Liesl! So where do you think he went?"

"Back downstairs to read."

She was wrong, but I love that she drew inferences from evidence without being prompted.  (Lo, abductive reasoning!)  I called her my little Sherlock.  And I just so happened to be watching the second episode of the fourth season of Sherlock (from BBC/Masterpiece).  I told her Sherlock was a famous detective who had an amazing ability to infer things from his observations.  Liesl was of course drawn to the image on my screen of Sherlock holding a pistol and she wanted to watch what happened next.  Sound reasoning tells you that I denied that request; I tell you nothing.

At dinner, I gave the children some letters to unscramble into words.  Liesl picked it up surprisingly quickly.  I just love watching her mind work.

No comments: