Steve and the children have been playing a strategy game called Ducks in a Row obsessively for the last week or so - it's a little like Connect 4. Today we played Apples to Apples Junior, a game where you have to match your noun cards to different adjective categories, competing to see who picks the best fit. They also played Forbidden Island, a cooperative game to collect treasures before the island sinks under water. And then we had dinner word games. We started off simply: guess the number I'm thinking of. Guess the animal I'm thinking of. I'm thinking of a word that rhymes with the word 'bed' - guess it.
And then Steve said, "I'm thinking of a weekend adventure in Oregon - guess what it is."
We three had lots of fun, good guesses: bakeries; the farmers market; a hike; the beach; the mountain; soccer; playing at the field; Marshall Park; swimming at the community center; Pokpok; and then Liesl won the game with her double guess: "I know! A trip to the moon, or walking to the waterfall (in our neighborhood) and going swimming in it!" Because those are equally likely as weekend adventures, right? And then she suggested that Steve was thinking of playing in salt balls. Like, an Alice-in-Wonderland, human-size version of our salt cellar, with enormous white salt balls inside, and we'd roll around in it. We laughed so hard. She did too - such a good sport.
This is more of a pattern-making project than a game. Aren't our new floor pillows amazing?! Everyone got their own, in a different color. :)
Forbidden Island
Ducks in a Row
No comments:
Post a Comment