Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Oregon Trail overnight

As part of their social studies unit on the Oregon Trail, all of the fourth-graders in Sebastian's school participate in an overnight trip to a Kiwanis Camp near Mt. Hood. They left on Tuesday morning and came back Wednesday afternoon. Sebastian had been a little nervous ahead of time, but he did a great job of keeping himself together and working through it, and he ended up having a great time. (Yay!!!)

Things started off really well: he came home on Friday with a list of things to bring and instructions on how to pack. I told him it had to happen on Sunday, but then I was out all day (zoo, groceries, work event) and didn't remind him at all. I was astonished and delighted to come home at dinnertime and find that he had not only remembered, but had packed himself without any supervision. He got everything into the bag and then - this is my favorite part - circled the two things on the list that he had not packed, so that he would know to remember them. I was sorely tempted to double-check his packing, but didn't want to give the impression that I didn't trust his abilities, and so I left the bag closed.
We would have liked to walk him over to school, but he picked up his garbage bag full of stuff and his lunch bag, said he was fine, and headed out. The kids and chaperones piled onto buses and headed off, and Steve and I were left full of curiosity.

Sebastian came home today full of stories about silliness in the cabin, songs, camp names, and activities. They churned butter and dipped candles; they used a giant saw to cut logs and built a 4-foot tall homestead cabin out of wood; they panned for fool's gold and danced the Virginia reel; they got to check out various fur pelts and went on a nature walk; they cooked hamburgers over a tin can fire and washed clothes using a scrubbing tub. I'm so glad he had a good time on his first overnight trip - it sounds like it was a really well-run and interesting program, and he was happy.

Ten has been a pretty amazing year of growth for our boy, and he continues to amaze and impress us with his new flexibility, his bravery in confronting anxiety, his organization and consistency around homework, activities, and chores, and a newfound sense and open communication of empathy (especially toward me). Seeing him pack his own stuff and head out on his own for something that a year ago would have terrified him was really special - it's one of those moments when we catch a forward glimpse of the young man we hope he becomes, and feel so proud.

No comments: