Liesl reported to me the other day that she particularly liked a boy named Ryder, but that he was a friend-who-was-a-boy, not a boyfriend. (There are other boys who are friends, particularly Charlie and Nico; as far as I can tell, her affection is returned in spades by these particular boys.) I asked her why she liked Ryder, and she said that they enjoyed doing the same things, they liked the same games and books, and I thought "Yes!" Perfectly good reasons to like someone as a friend or not-boyfriend. But then she said, "Plus, we have the same enemies." !!!!! I probably should have asked what she meant by that, or talked to her about the word enemies and why it might hurt people to be called an enemy, but I was so surprised that I blurted out, "Who are your enemies?" She listed a couple of boys and girls who I know from previous conversations she finds annoying for one reason or another - they don't respect her personal space, they complain or criticize her excessively, they don't listen to the teacher and disrupt the class - and I could understand better what she was saying. But still! Enemies! Shared enemies! It's too funny.
| A self-portrait, as a bug, outside her classroom. |
A story with illustrations by Liesl. "Once upon a time there was a girl named Lily. She was having a birthday party on Halloween. She had a huge party with lots of friends. She loved it. When it was time to go trick-or-treating she got to be in the front and get two pounds/bags of candy and lived happily ever after. The End."
Liesl wearing one of my childhood dresses to school - I'm pretty sure that my mom sewed this, frills and ruffles and all.
Liesl approves of Anne's gingerbread apple upside down cake.
A crafternoon playdate with Campbell.
No comments:
Post a Comment