Monday, October 30, 2017

Liesl's birthday party

We threw a party for Liesl and five of her friends on Sunday morning - it was organized around the theme of Rainbow Magic fairies - a book series of (dubious) literary merit, currently at 200+ books in the series, all with the same basic storyline. There are two girls, best friends named Kirsty and Rachel, who are friends with fairies and travel to fairyland. They are asked to help recover magical objects stolen by Jack Frost and his naughty goblin henchmen.

For the party, Steve wrote an entire storyline, a script, identified magic objects, and wrote clues for a scavenger hunt. It started off with an introduction to the party game and then there were five different fairies who need help getting back their magical objects. Elena and I collaborated to be Kirsty, Rachel, and the fairies using my phone's voice memo feature.  So I played the recording for the girls, who listened raptly, and then they had to run around on a treasure hunt for the missing magical object that would make the party better. It was amazing. Steve's imagination is just unbelievable, and the party was fantastic.

Here's the introduction, in italics, and then each of the fairy's recorded request for help:
K:  Hi, girls!  This is Kirsty ...
R: and Rachel. 
K:  We've asked some of our fairy friends to help make Liesl's birthday party especially fun! 
R:  But watch out for Jack Frost and his goblins.  They are always looking to steal fairy magic and stop people from having fun. 
K:  The good news is they're not very smart.  So if they steal something, you should be able to find it. 
R:  If you need help, Chloe the Clue Fairy has given us her magical clue bag.  Just ask for a clue whenever you need help finding something magical. 
K & R:  Happy Birthday, Liesl!  And have a great party!
Jack Frost and his trouble-making goblin; the girls listening intently to the introduction from Kirsty and Rachel and the first lost magical object.

Hi, girls! I'm Melodie the Music Fairy.  Jack Frost has stolen my magic CD that makes people happy to dance.  Now all his goblins are throwing the worst dance party I've ever seen.  They keep tripping over each other and they all just look embarrassed.  Can you help me find my CD?  Then we can show them how to have a really fun dance party!


 
dance party from B. Avery on Vimeo.


Hi, girls!  My name is Willa the Game Fairy and I need your help.  Jack Frost stole my magic balloon and now his goblins are making up the worst party games ever!  They're popping all the balloons, they're making a terrible mess, and they just keep taunting each other and arguing.  Help me find my magical balloon so we can play some fun party games!
Finding the magical balloon!
Some of the clues for the scavenger hunt.

Hi, girls!  I'm Jasmine the Present Fairy and I have some terrible news.  Jack Frost stole my magic birthday headband and all of Liesl's presents.  Now his goblins are fighting over who gets to open the presents but they can't even figure out how to open them.  Can you find the special headband and the presents so we can open Liesl's presents together?
Hi, girls!  I'm Cherry the Cake Fairy and I need your help.  Jack Frost stole the magic sprinkles that I use to make birthday cakes delicious and fun.  His goblins are ruining birthday cakes by topping them with ketchup and mustard.  Help me find my sprinkles so we can all enjoy some delicious cake before the goblins ruin our dessert!


Hi, girls!  I'm  Caroline the Craft Party Fairy.  Jack Frost stole my magic craft kit and now his goblins are making the ugliest headbands I've ever seen!  Help me find my special kit and then we'll make some awesome headbands to show those goblins they can't beat a team of strong and smart girls!

No comments: