There was a winter storm warning for Portland on Wednesday night and the school district preemptively closed all schools for Thursday. We woke up to a brisk wind but perfectly dry streets, prompting much eye-rolling among those northerners among us. The children were delighted to have the day off school and I was perfectly happy to be home with them - I figured that even if the snow didn't appear, we would bake, make gingerbread houses, and be cozy.
But the snow arrived on schedule! Starting around noon, it snowed off and on all afternoon. It was moderately cold and really windy, and we got about 5 inches in total. It was good for sledding but not really wet enough to make snowmen. No matter - both children were out for nearly the whole time, making snow angels, pathways through the snow, a couple of forts, and of course sledding. Steve and I even joined in the sledding fun for a few runs.
I baked two loaves of cranberry bread and we drank hot chocolate and ate popcorn - got started on the gingerbread houses but had to leave them to dry/set overnight. We have always had the Trader Joe's gingerbread kits, but they sold out this year before I got there, so we have three different models this time. So far, we are super not impressed. Stay tuned...
No comments:
Post a Comment