Friday, December 16, 2016

more snow!

We had an unremarkable few days - school, work, gymnastics, swimming, climbing - and then a second winter storm hit Portland on Wednesday afternoon. We got about 5 inches of snow, which is a lot for a city as hilly and ill-equipped as this one. (Not enough plows; we don't salt the roads; everything turns to ice; people don't know how to drive on snow.) Fortunately, I left work early and just beat the traffic coming up W. Burnside - cars were driving 10 miles an hour, so it took a little while, but after 3 pm all the local roads and highways were just parking lots.

Today was bright and sunny - reminded me of a winter day in Edmonton, with a blue sky and wispy high clouds. Liesl went to her friend Nora's house for a playdate in the morning, and Sebastian and I just wandered the neighborhood and played outside all day.
In the afternoon I baked blueberry muffins and blondies (a mashup of hermits and blondies; moderately successful). And just like that, winter break started two days early, which was not exactly what I needed after last week's short week. I have work still to do, and there's now no school until January, tra la! But the children are delighted to have snow, and I am delighted that it feels like a real winter, and Christmas is coming....

No comments: