Tuesday, November 29, 2016

the end of the beginning

On Saturday, we were sprinting single laps around the track at the school field, timing ourselves. (6 laps makes a mile.)  Sebastian ran three laps in 1 minute each (1:00, 1:02, 1:01). Liesl ran three laps, getting faster with each one (1:37, 1:24, 1:22). I had gone for a 3-mile run before beginning this little competition, but still, my lap took 1:06. Yep, that's right, Sebastian is officially faster than his mama.

In other news, we played chess and were fairly even. We made anagrams from the word Thanksgiving and both got about a dozen words. (Steve got 50 or so.)

It's the end of the beginning, in my mind. I thought I would feel more depressed about this turn - older, perhaps - but I'm instead happy to see him growing and thriving in such good ways.

Liesl and I went to a pottery painting studio on Saturday while Steve nursed a cold and Sebastian played at the school field with a rotating assortment of his friends. We stayed for a couple of hours, happily chattering and painting away. She was able to really focus this year and spend time on her projects, and I liked being there with her. We'll definitely do it again.
As always, the advent of cold weather and dark nights has brought us inside, to play more board games and re-find our crafty things. We've been playing lots of different games - Qwirkle, Ticket to Ride, Busytown, Sherlock, Ducks in a Row, Duck Duck Bruce. Sebastian completed a 300-piece puzzle of American license plates, largely on his own. We've been playing a lot with Mosaic tile pieces, as below. I like the seasons and that each has its own joys and pleasures.

No comments: