For day two of our winter storm, it sleeted overnight and then everything froze, making the roads and sidewalks into rivers of sheer ice. The wind also picked up and so it was utterly miserable out there. For me, at least - Sebastian was once again outside playing from 9-5, happy as a clam to sled on the icy snow with Liesl and Oscar and Nadine, with the briefest of breaks for chicken noodle soup at lunch.
Portland has few snow plows and refuses to salt the roads, and so
everyone stayed home on Sunday and Monday. Schools were closed, businesses were closed, cars
were abandoned by the sides of the road - NW Miller Rd, NW Cornell, and
NW Thompson were all officially closed on Monday, so there was no way
out of the neighborhood. Happily, we had enough food and I was glad of the extra day before returning to the usual race. I was less happy this morning when Portland Public Schools once again closed the schools; PSU was open and the roads seemed perfectly clear. Steve took one for the team and stayed home with Sebastian while Liesl and I went about our usual business. Tomorrow, Wednesday, I think we're finally going to be back to normal. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment