Tuesday, November 17, 2015

scrapbook love and other sweet things

Nina gave Liesl a scrapbook for her birthday, and then both Seb and Liesl spent hours the next day cutting, glueing, writing, and drawing a love poem to me. I can't even. (Although, I love the fact that they cunningly insert requests into this paean to my motherly qualities... number 15 is my fave.)



Sebastian has started calling Liesl "Leese" as a nickname. "C'mon, Leese."  It's very reminiscent of Carl nicknaming me Bri, the name by which I was entirely known for 18 years. No one ever called me Brianna until I left home and went to Sweden, and then Amherst and New York. Now, most people only know me as Brianna - I've always been Brianna in my professional life and even my close friends in Portland don't usually call me Bri. Sometimes I miss it; sometimes it feels like an natural progression. I wonder if this nickname for Liesl will stick and be her school name and sports name and friend name.

Liesl's bedtime story for the last few nights has been selections from our family blog books. (I've created books from my blog posts - one book for 2007-2009, and then one each year from 2010-2014.) She especially likes to hear about herself as a baby and to see herself in those photos. I love re-reading what I wrote so many years ago now, and seeing my sweet children as babies. They were so sweet and tiny! And now they're 5 and 8, and I can't believe it.

1 comment:

Bryant and Sze-ching said...

Re: Bri's name as a youngster. She also knew when she'd done something wrong because her mother would say firmly: "Brianna Jean Avery!!!!" :)