For the last couple of weeks, Liesl and I have been experimenting with commuting into work and preschool on the Max train, rather than driving. The traffic during the school year is wretched, turning a quick and easy 14-minute drive into a boring/dangerous 35-minute slog. Our public transit commute begins with either taking the shuttle bus or Steve dropping us off at the Max station. The train ride is short and we cuddle and read books together; we get off in Goose Hollow and walk a half mile to PSU. The walk is not amazing - up through some unlovely streets, across the pedestrian walkway over the noisy highways and their entrance ramps, and past all of the homeless people on the sidewalks. (Liesl commented on Wednesday morning: "It doesn't smell as bad as usual today!") I thought Liesl might find the walk too long and the commute tiring, but so far she loves it: she loves the Max train and skips on our walk, peers around the corner on the way home to see if we need to run for the train, and had a total tantrum on Thursday morning when I insisted on driving. (Plus, Sebastian is unspeakably green with envy that she gets to ride the train every day.)
So I returned my quarterly parking pass to PSU for a refund, and bought a monthly Trimet pass instead. Wish us luck in the rainy season!
In other news - there was a crazy parade outside my house the other day. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment