We have, from my childhood, a complete set* of the Thornton Burgess books "The Adventures of...". Originally published in 1915, they all concern the same group of anthropomorphized animals living in the Green Forest and Green Meadows and by the Smiling Brook and Laughing Pool, but each one of the 24 books focuses on a different creature. They are chapter books, with only a few illustrations in each, and are chock full of adventures and danger and pranks and friendship, as
well as basic lessons about nature. (There is also the occasional dated
or racist language, which we just edit out as we read. When he gets
older and reads them himself, we can talk about it.)
I tried to read The Adventures of Buster Bear to Sebastian a year ago, but he couldn't pay attention long enough and wasn't interested. But on their recent visit, my dad read one of the books to Seb - The Adventures of Jerry Muskrat. And he was hooked. We've since read the Adventures of Danny Meadow Mouse and are in the thick of the Adventures of Grandfather Frog, and Seb is avid to find out what happens next in each one. Yesterday, for the first time, he expressed the desire to read by himself, so eager was he to know what happened next to Grandfather Frog. Yay!
*We were missing one book - number 7, The Adventures of Mr. Mocker - both dad and I have looked online for the right edition in the right binding, on multiple occasions over the years, and never found it. Last year we decided to buy it in a slightly different edition just to have the story. But then today I was in Powell's Books with the kids, randomly browsing the used bookshelves, when I spotted the familiar, distinctive pink cover of the Burgess stories. I looked closer, and what should it be but number 7!!! The right edition of the right book! What are the odds?! And so now, through a serendipitous bookstore visit, our collection is complete.
1 comment:
With satisfaction, I smile......
Another generation hooked. Bompy
Post a Comment