Monday, August 12, 2013

Portland Bridge Pedal

We had a fantastic morning adventure today. We met up with Katie and Ben and their children and together rode our bikes 12 miles over six bridges as part of the Providence Portland Bridge Pedal. Many roads were closed to traffic, including parts of I-5 and I-405, so that you could go over the Marquam and Fremont highway bridges. Sebastian was so excited to go over the Fremont Bridge in particular, which he calls the big grey bridge, because it's his favorite - it arcs up high in the sky and from the top deck you have a great view of the city, Mt. Hood, and the train yards below.

A map of our route is posted online: Hawthorne, Ross Island, Marquam, Burnside, Broadway, and Fremont Bridges.

There are longer loops in which you can do 8 bridges (24 miles) or 10 bridges (33 miles) - maybe next year! Apparently close to 18,000 people participated, and it was incredible to see the diversity of bikes and bodies and setups (with children and animals).





1 comment:

Katie said...

I can't believe my fingers are in the last shot - what the heck?!