Saturday, May 7, 2022

end of LYS

In sad and unexpected news, Liesl's LYS soccer team disbanded after the season ended on April 30. The coach decided to move clubs, to Portland City United (PCU), and most of the girls decided to follow him there. There were some girls who still wanted to stay with the local club, but not enough for a team (and there was no coach). Steve coached the last game, which was the second team on our home field, and it was a really fun game (ending in a 3-3 tie).

Love this series of the girls running and celebrating after Arianna scored.

Liesl spent the last week going to multiple tryouts - four intense sessions in two days. (We signed up for one other, but decided not to go.) She received offers to join two teams, and we decided to go with her friends to PCU. 

In equally unexpected news, Sebastian decided that he wanted to have a more intense and competitive soccer experience, and so he too tried out for a new team. He went to two tryouts and was invited to join a PCU team, and we've accepted. I had no idea that his final game in the Founders Cup was the end of his LYS career, but I guess it was a good way to go out. I feel sad about it. I like the LYS club and his team and coaches -- we've made good friends and had a good experience. But I also respect his desire to improve with more focused training. We were most surprised that he decided to leave behind all of his friends to be the new kid on a team. He was pretty lonely out there at tryouts, with no one to talk to during warmups and water breaks, but it didn't affect his decision. We're curious to see what the year will bring.

No comments: