Friday, February 5, 2021

skiing!

We played hooky from school and work for a day, and went skiing at Mt. Hood Meadows. It was Seb and Liesl's first time downhill skiing; Steve's second (the first time was in college, in jeans and no gloves, barreling down an icy black diamond run in Vermont); and my first time in 20 years. We went with our friends the Dewis/Hornbrooks, who were also beginners.

In the morning, Steve and the 4 kids had a lesson on the bunny slope, and Amy and I skied together. I was so delighted that I remembered how to do it! I could still feel the joy and grace in turning and gliding, and I loved being on the mountain. Both kids and Steve did really well, and in the afternoon progressed from the bunny slope onto the slightly more challenging beginner hills off chairlifts. 

We got so lucky, because the weather was crazy. It was drizzling when we left Portland at 7, and then absolutely pouring when we were driving through Government Camp. And then the wind and rain in the parking lot at Meadows were gusting so fiercely that it hurt your face and blew Liesl over. But then, by the time we got checked in and picked up our rentals, the sun had come out, the rain had stopped, and it was brilliant blue skies and sunshine (even a rainbow!). The wind came and went, but the sun remained all day. (But then on our drive home, it was raining still on the other side of Hood and over Portland.) So basically, Mt Hood Meadows ski resort had its own perfect weather system, just for us, for the day.

Amy and I did a few runs and then visited the others on the bunny slope.
Seb in black, Liesl in purple and blue, Steve with the bright orange boots.
After lunch, we went out on our own, venturing on the Buttercup lift and then the Easy Rider. By 3:30, everyone was tired, and we returned our gear and headed home.

🙂

No comments: