Sunday, September 27, 2020

happy weekend

We had an almost normal weekend here, and it was so delightful. Liesl had soccer practices on Friday and Saturday; Seb had soccer practice and baseball practice. I picked up library books from our local branch (the line was so long!), bread from Grand Central bakery, ice cream pints from Salt&Straw, and xiaolongbao from Din Tai Fung. I have been running almost every day since the air cleared, and feeling very happy about it. 

On Sunday morning, Seb and I drove out to the Banks-Vernonia bike trail and biked 12 miles up into the forest. The way up was really fun and we both very much enjoyed our new bikes. But then we turned around to head down, and it was SO COLD. We were freezing the whole way down because of the wind, the lack of sun, and our lack of proper clothing (particularly gloves). We laughed about it, but also agreed we would never again go on the Banks-Vernonia in the morning. 

In the afternoon, Liesl and I went with Arianna and her mom Denise to Smith Barn, a local orchard, to pick some apples and pears. We picked far too many, of course, and then the girls had fun climbing a huge tree (a walnut tree, as it turned out), feeding the goats, and in general clowning around. I failed as a photographer, distracted by the pounds of apples, the girls, conversation, etc. But I am sure I will have fun baking with all of these fruits!




A small sampling of our apples, in the fridge. They are small but very crisp and perfectly tart.

No comments: