Wednesday, October 10, 2018

October update

October? What happened? It’s the middle of the month and I haven’t written a single blog entry! We have been busy, it’s true, but not actually busy with many things I’ve taken photos of or thought about recording.

After the adventures of the summer, September was a good month of returning to routines and friends, school and work, soccer and other activities. My students returned for the fall quarter and I became (as always) swamped with appointments and emails. I meet with students during the entirety of the time I’m in the office and thus find myself answering emails and following up on other projects in the evenings. Sebastian’s homework this year, in 5th grade, has increased in difficulty and length of time required, and Liesl also has homework to accomplish during the week, and it seems that either me or Steve is often a necessary presence while they’re working. I’ve been continuing to run three or four days a week - always with Jasper, usually in the forest - and climbing with friends once or twice as well. And then there’s the daily shuttling of children to practice and dance classes - thankfully, with the carpool assistance of many parent friends.

Because both children have soccer games on the weekends - at least one each, and sometimes two each - we have not embarked on our usual fall family adventures. Despite my best efforts to find an available time, we did not manage to go apple picking this year, probably the first time we missed the orchards in a decade. I’m sad about it, but I’m happy that we’re active and busy.

Our big news on the home front is that Steve has started a new job, as of October 2nd, working with a class action firm. It’s an exciting opportunity for him to do something a little different and to be on the plaintiffs’ side of the law. He’ll be working remotely - all of the attorneys at this firm work independently - and so he’s working from home full-time now. We're adjusting and excited about the future!

No comments: