Tuesday, March 7, 2017

shoulder injury

I have been struggling with a shoulder injury - tendinitis in the shoulder and bicep - since early January. It's been really frustrating. I've stopped going to jazz class and climbing, and faithfully gone to physical therapy twice a week, and it's still hurting. It hurts to lift my right arm above my head or straight out to the side; I can't lift things, I can't throw a ball with Sebastian. I miss my activities and seeing my friends during those activities, and I miss moving my body around. I went to see my doctor last week and she scolded me for continuing to overdo it (chopping vegetables, lifting groceries, cleaning the house are all aggravating the joint), and made me wear a sling for three days. It's not magically better after those three days, obviously, but I'm hopeful.

In the meantime, I've been running a lot. It's pretty much the only activity I can do right now (no biking or yoga either) and so I've been logging 4 runs a week, 3-4 miles each time. I've gone out running in drizzle, snow, freezing temperatures, and pouring rain, since I usually have a limited window of opportunity to exercise and our winter has been miserably cold and wet.

It's good. I'm feeling strong. I was really depressed and grouchy for most of February, and I still can't wait to climb and dance again, but right now I'm happy that the spring is coming and the sun is out for longer each day.

No comments: