Saturday, March 25, 2017

my birthday!

I had a lovely birthday day - sweet, thoughtful husband and children, wonderful presents both big and small, excellent food, and even the rare appearance of the sun, which came out long enough for us to enjoy a family hike in Forest Park, where we saw the first trilliums of the season.
I came down this morning to a happy birthday banner, stretching across the doorway. Both children were super sweet all day long - on their best behavior, helpful and considerate. Sebastian made this cheery sign; Liesl had drawn pictures and assembled various birthday packages for me of random (but sweet) detritus.
 Hiking with the baseball fiend and a toothless grinning girl.
 Trilliums! Finally! We thought you'd never come.
We had brunch at Lovejoy Bakers, picked up pastries from Pearl, and enjoyed ice cream at Salt and Straw. In the afternoon, the children played at the field with their respective friends while I worked at a PSU recruiting event. And then we met up for a family date dinner at Ava Gene's, an Italian restaurant. (The children dressed up all fancy and were on their best manners, more or less, delighted to be invited along instead of being relegated to a babysitter's care.)
Steve and the children collaborated on birthday jewelry for me - green earrings and a locket necklace. Sebastian had apparently decided upon about a locket three months ago - I'm not sure how he even knew about lockets, but he was clear that it was to be a necklace that opened up and could have pictures inside. So today, he picked this one out at Gilt, our favorite vintage jeweler on NW 23rd. It's got leaves and purple-colored jewels, and is from the 1940s. I'm so charmed by his thoughtfulness and advance planning, and delighted that Steve could make it happen.
Anne and I went out for a cozy wine night on Thursday, and the Hoangs are coming over for brunch tomorrow, and then next Friday a group of us are going dancing at a nightclub (90s night!). Happy 41st to me!

No comments: