On Sunday we went for our usual weekly jaunt in Forest Park - the "tire-swing" parking spot this time - down old Springville Rd, along the Wildwood to the Ridge trail, up the Ridge and then back along Firelane 7. It's one of my favorite loops. Sebastian insisted on bringing the old skuut bike, against my objections, and the children had a ball riding it through the mud and down the hills, cackling with glee. To his credit, Seb didn't ask me to carry it even once, and I was happy to admit that I'd been wrong in my skepticism.
Spring is in the air - the camellias are in full bloom, the daffodils are bursting out, the forsythia and cherry trees are starting to show some color, and the new crop of ferns and clovers are unfurling in the woods. Today's rain even smelled like spring - all mossy green earth coming to life. I have been delighted and amazed every February to so viscerally feel the turn of the seasons here. For a girl who has lived in Edmonton - Amherst - Sweden - New York - the Portland spring always comes early, before I expect it, in the most delightful way.
No comments:
Post a Comment