I scolded Liesl for something yesterday morning - hanging on the kitchen cabinets, perhaps? - and she got upset and stormed off. She returned a few minutes later to request some tape, and I could see her in the living room drawing and coloring and cutting and taping - and so I thought all was forgotten and she'd moved on.
Well. She came back into the kitchen, handed me this drawing:
And said, "This is a picture of me sticking my tongue out at you."
!!!!!!!!
I was truly flabbergasted. Steve thinks we should be impressed at her ability to take complex emotions and express them through art - to work through her anger in a constructive way, and not just yell or scream. But I was kind of upset about it - she spent all that time making something to hurt my feelings? That doesn't seem very nice.
It may be true that Steve is right, but in the moment I told her that it hurt my feelings and I was sad. At which point she went away again and made this drawing:
And said, "This is a picture of me hugging you."
I can't decide if I should be impressed by her level of emotional intelligence/manipulative genius, or terrified.
No comments:
Post a Comment