Tuesday, June 17, 2014

very happy news: Bri's new job!

I'm delighted to share that I've accepted a job offer at Portland State University, as the academic adviser for their University Honors College. I will be the (only) adviser for the program, which is designed for high-achieving undergraduates who wish to experience the environment of a small liberal arts college within a larger research institution - small seminars, close-knit academic community, research opportunities, senior theses.  The honors college is currently growing rapidly under a new and energetic director, who in the last three years has re-envisioned the program's structure and requirements, grown its enrollment from ~150 - ~650 students, secured outside grant funding, and garnered positive reviews from the university's leadership. So it's an exciting time to start working there, as I'll have the opportunity to help shape the advising structure as well as the policies and requirements of the program, and recruit more and better qualified students. I hope to work in close collaboration with the director and faculty and eventually earn a good deal of autonomy and responsibility.

My job will be a half-time position, with flexible hours and scheduling, which is perfect for me as I transition back to the working world. I was not eager to return to full time work and give up my time with Liesl and Sebastian, as well as my time cooking, baking, hiking, running, etc. :)  But I am looking forward to having a more independent life again, outside the home.  The current plan is for me to start August 18th, so I'll have nearly the whole summer to play with the children. It's perfect. I'm so happy. 

Here are the two good luck notes I took with me to my on-campus interview:
"I hope you have a good job (interview) mommy and I hope you are picked."  The reference to monologues is because I repeatedly practiced my interview presentation in the dining room, the upstairs, and on the hiking trail, to my children's amusement. Although to be honest, Liesl fell asleep the first time she listened to my scintillating monologue.

No comments: