Wednesday, February 26, 2014

fear not

I was filling out a preschool questionnaire for Liesl last week - more on that below - and one of the questions was: "What is your child afraid of?"  I thought about that for awhile, and was stumped. She's not afraid of dogs or strangers, traffic or deep water. She is delighted by fire and loves heights and speed. She isn't afraid of the dark, or imaginary creatures, or scary stories and movies.  I both love and worry that she has so little fear - I kind of wish she had a bit more fear of things that deserve it - but I grinned a little as I wrote "Nothing" on the sheet.

I spent a good bit of January researching preschools and then attending open houses and parent tours of local schools. Many seemed very nice, run by lovely people and staffed by fun and caring teachers, with well-stocked classrooms and big playgrounds, and mostly not very expensive. I am not very worried about Liesl's experience - I am nearly certain she will love it and love her friends and teachers - and it's only for two mornings a week during her Three's year. (If I return to working, we'll need to find a different child care arrangement, as the typical preschool has extremely limited hours.) My first choice turned out to be Cedar Hills cooperative preschool, which is quite close (a big mark in its favor) and has lovely classrooms and outdoor space. And I loved the teachers - listening to them talk at the parent night made me look forward to learning from them next year. We were lucky enough to get the last spot in the morning program, and promptly enrolled. Liesl is very excited to go to school next year. :)

No comments: