Tuesday, April 16, 2013

New-to-Portland moms Meetup group

In January, I found a Meetup group called New-to-Portland moms - people who had moved to Portland in 2012 or 2013, and had young children, and were looking for friends and connections. It's been an amazing group for us - fantastic moms, and great young kids, and a chance for us to get out and meet other people a few times a week. We usually meet up with others at cafes, playgrounds, and parks once or twice a week, and I've been enjoying mom's nights out every two weeks (at chocolate shops, breweries, a pie shop, etc.).  It has done so much to alleviate some of my feelings of dislocation and loneliness. And Sebastian's, too - he's always interested in when the next meetup will be, and when we'll see the friends again. Of course, he's quite the oldest in the group - it's mostly babies through four year olds. But it's fine for now - a few months until he goes to kindergarten, after all - and he does a great job of helping look after the younger ones.

In the past two weeks, we've met at a cafe for a music, stories, and balloon show, at the Audubon Society and the Hoyt Arboretum for hikes, at Gabriel Park and at Wallace Park for playground and bike/scooter play, and for a book club/mom's night out. It's terrific. I've met some women that I really like and it's great.









No comments: