Sunday, January 17, 2021

more pics from home

From last weekend -- usually the local Boy Scout troop drives around with a pickup truck picking up Xmas trees to be recycled/composted, but they couldn't this year because of Covid. Instead, they had a dropoff spot down near the village town center. So Steve and I picked up our tree and carried it down the hill. Good thing it was downhill the whole way!

Liesl spent some of her Christmas present money buying a really cool marble track.
She also picked up some very soft and moldable clay, by a company that also has an app with easy-to-follow instructions on how to make various creatures. She first made a Christmas ornament, and then moved on to birds and a pterodactyl --

Otherwise, not much to report. We all continue with work and school, and both kids are thriving academically despite the challenges of remote learning. I am proud of their self-motivation and organization, because it's hard to stay on top of so much independent work. Both of them have twice-weekly soccer practices with their teams; Liesl has Zoom dance classes; Sebastian has podschool twice a week. They're both reading a lot, and re-reading (Calvin and Hobbes just got another complete re-read by both), and watching tv shows and playing video games. Any time the sun comes out, I kick them out of the house to play with Wyatt (he and Seb play basketball and soccer, or take Jasper for a walk) and Arianna (bike riding, soccer, playground play, walking Jazz). In truth, January has felt a little dark and damp and depressing.

But I have been running a lot, despite the rain. Anja and I meet up every Sunday at 9 to run the Leif Erikson trail in Forest Park, which is a wonderful chance to talk and connect. I've run with Christie (mom to a 4th grade girl, and my HTC partner) a few times around the Cedar Mills neighborhood. I'm hoping to go for a hike next weekend with Amy. And on Saturday I ran up the Terwilligar Road from Duniway field, where Seb was practicing soccer, and achieved a personal best for the 10k of 51.16 minutes (it's an 8.14 pace per mile). 

Liesl and I got ice cream cones (waffle cones! unheard of treat!) last weekend on our mama-daughter day together; today we got Fill's doughnuts. The Boston cream was pretty special and will warrant a repeat visit. :)

No comments: