Saturday, February 4, 2017

1000-piece puzzle

I bought a 1000-piece puzzle for a family Christmas present this year, with a children's book theme - the children were predictably intimidated and reluctant to start on it, but I had a hunch. So we unwrapped it a week ago, started sorting edges and then colors, and have been steadily pecking away at it all week. Everyone got in on the act, which was awesome. Liesl and I had a very fun and successful time one afternoon - Sebastian worked on it in the mornings before the rest of us woke up - Steve sorted and grouped pieces to make it easier for the rest of us. (Steve also sat on his hands and exercised his patience while waiting for the rest of us slowpokes to hurry up and finish it.) We finished it this afternoon! Seb and Liesl were so proud of themselves, and I was too. It was really fun as a group project and everyone is feeling enthusiastic about another. I think there's one with a candy theme that might be just the ticket...
School was again closed on Friday - there was a scheduled teacher development day, but also an ice storm that would have closed schools in any case. So we were home again together. We tried to go out in the morning but it was too icy to be much fun, even at the field. So Sebastian and I played a game of chess and a game of Scrabble, we all read books together and separately, I baked a double chocolate banana bread and made braised pork shoulder for dinner. Liesl's friend Nora came over in the afternoon for a playdate.

Seb and I played Scrabble for a bit and then got tired of it. Steve came wandering through and found our abandoned board and tiles.... see if you can spot the moment when he took over and started playing both sides. :)

No comments: