Saturday, August 30, 2014

first week of work!

I started my new job at Portland State University on Monday the 18th, and it's been a roller coaster of emotions. Some days have felt great - getting to know the faculty and other advisers, meeting students, learning the ropes - and other days have felt sad - I miss the children, I miss being outside in the sunshine, I'm not used to sitting still all day. And there's so much to learn!  It's going to take me a while to get up to speed on all the policies and processes and curricula, not to mention the exceptions, and I get a little anxious thinking about it. I'd like to be confident and competent, and I'm not there yet.

I know it's normal to have these mixed feelings of anticipation and nostalgia, and I expect I'll enjoy work even more when I get into the swing of the term, but change is always discombobulating.  On my first day, Sebastian told me he wished I could just stay home with him instead, and Liesl said she didn't want to go to daycare (she starts in mid-September).  But I have confidence that as a family, we'll get there. I think the children will enjoy being in classrooms with their peers once they get over their initial feelings of worry and anticipation.

No comments: