This morning, 5:45 am.
Seb: the green light!
Liesl: yay!
Seb: want some cereal? I'll take care of you , and mama will come out soon.
L: yeah!
And so I am lying here in bed, listening to Seb get the bowls, spoons, cereal, and milk. He occasionally admonishes L to stop eating before the milk is poured. He offers her the various cereal choices. She requests wawa and he gets her a glass. It is very sweet.
A few weeks ago I decided to move some bowls, cups, cereals, and snacks into a special cupboard for the kids. I showed Seb how to get his own breakfast a couple of times, hoping he would take to it. And lo... Success is sweet.

Breakfast is part of my most recent project: teaching the children some
basic chores. I can't bear the idea of spoiled children who don't clean up after themselves and can't manage basic household tasks. So they both now throw away their own diapers/pullups every morning, and put their pjs back onto their beds. I
bought a cool new laundry hamper, and they both throw their dirty
clothes in there every night. When the laundry is cleaned, they put
away their own clothes into the dresser drawers. When the bed linens need
to be changed, they participate (usually their job is to throw the
stuffed animals off the bed, and then back on, as I change the sheets). Seb takes his own dishes from the
table to the dishwasher, and has realized he can fetch his own spoon/fork/ketchup/napkin/milk. During grocery shopping trips, they help fetch and carry items and unload the cart for checkout. And I bought some new plants, which the children are in charge
of watering. Baby steps. I have my grandmother Avery's voice in my head: "Don't put it down, put it away."
No comments:
Post a Comment