Wednesday, March 14, 2012

At the farm

It was spring break for Columbia students this week, and I decided to take the week off as vacation. Christmas, spring, and summer breaks are one of the great perks of working in education. 

On Tuesday I dropped the children off at daycare, took the train into the city, and went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I spent a wonderful morning in the Greek and Roman wings, really enjoying myself. It was fun to see beautiful sculptures and objects, and to learn more about the mythology and history of the era, but it was especially fun to be by myself just doing whatever I wanted to do.  Steve and I then met up for lunch at Danji, a Korean restaurant in Hell's Kitchen. It was delicious - silky tofu, bulgogi sliders, pork belly, bibimbap, kimchi. And soju, to make us loopy.  We then went and strolled along the High Line before he went back to work and I did some window shopping downtown.  Such a terrific date day.

On Wednesday, I kept the children at home with me, and we went to the Stone Barns farm in the morning. There were baby pigs and cows, very pregnant sheep, and lots of the usual chickens running around. Liesl was very interested in all of the animals - kept pointing at them and making the appropriate sounds. (On a side note, I find it amusing that of the 20 or so words she speaks, at least five of them are animal noises. Only the really useful, educational stuff for our girl.)  Some pictures of our farm visit below.

 

They climbed over an old stone wall and went exploring in the woods, without me. They found sticks and rocks and leaves and were quite delighted with themselves. Making their Grandpa Avery proud. :)

No comments: