Saturday, August 1, 2009

scenes from the car

Driving with Sebastian on Sunday morning, I hear happy giggles coming from the back seat. He's alone back there, and we're on a random stretch of highway. And these are true, real giggles, not the maniacal demon laughter that he occasionally lets out. I seize a moment and look back, to discover that he's removed his shoes and socks and is tickling the bottom of his feet. And laughing. So awesome.

Later that day, I hear "truck!" "truck!" "truck!" coming from back there, for 10 minutes straight, and can't figure it out, because we're on a local road and there are no trucks to be seen in any direction. I look pretty carefully too, because he's usually right about these things. (Once, we were on a highway, and he kept yelling "bus!" excitedly, and it took us a while to figure out that he was seeing a tour bus high and far back on the ramp above us, merging onto our road.) I parked the car and walked around to his side and discover he's been looking in his "Great Big Book of Trucks", which is, that's right, a book full of pictures of trucks. (With labels. No other text, no story.) I love it that he loves that book so much.

No comments: