Friday, May 30, 2008
baby food
Now that Sebastian has started eating solids, I've had to confront the question: home-made or store-bought? I didn't have a strong opinion on either side - I knew that I wanted to breastfeed the baby (if possible) for at least six months, but I wasn't sure about what would come after that. So I started with both - I steamed and roasted pears, apples, peas, sweet potatoes, and carrots, and bought some jars of organic baby food in the same varieties. I thought I'd run a little taste test, testing both my and Sebbe's palates.
So far, home-made pears and apples have been decidedly preferred to the jarred versions - they are sweeter and juicier. Sweet potatoes were more of a draw - he preferred the smooth texture of the store-bought, but ate both. The jarred peas were absolutely disgusting - I tasted them first and didn't even feed them to Seb. As for the jarred carrots - he tried very hard to eat them, which was sweet, but he really didn't like them very much. I thought he just wasn't hungry, but then offered him some banana, and he eagerly wolfed that down. So I'd say home-made is the clear favorite.
The funniest reaction he's had so far has been to spinach - he screwed up his little mouth and gave me this pitiful look. I gave him a second bite and he just let it all dribble out of his mouth. But when I mixed it in with peas and rice, he ate it with no hesitation. The very green result is pictured above. There are a couple more photos in the May album.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment